Benefits of using Essential Oils
All essential oils are anti-bacterial, antifungal, antiviral, anti-infective, anti-parasitic and antiseptic to some degree or the other. They have shown in laboratory studies to destroy or inhibit bacteria and viruses without causing harm to cells, organs tissues or body systems. All essential oils are known to have the following properties:
- Aromatic: Essential oils are aromatic (volatile) in nature. This means that their small molecules are able to be diffused readily in the air and absorbed into our bodies through respiratory systems. Because of their small molecular structure they purify the air by removing metallic particles and toxins from the air, destroying different types of odors from molds, cigarettes and fill the air with fresh, healing and uplifting scent.
- Applying externally provides internal benefit: Essential oils work through the skin on nearby organs, on the nervous system and the entire body as they quickly penetrate the tissues of the skin. Massage therapists operate using this principle.
- Cell Regeneration: Most essential oils stimulate the generation of new cell growth following burns, surgeries or wounds of any nature. Of particular note in this category are Lavender, Patchouli, Neroli, Coriander and Helichrysum.
- Skin Care: Skin absorbs and filters both nutrients as well as pollutants and therefore due to the pollutants present in the air it becomes dull and dry. Essential oils can be of great help in keeping the skin moist, healthy and glowing.
- Circulation: Essential oils are rubefacient, which means they activate capillary circulation. increased circulation to the capillaries prevents tired, achy legs and the slow experienced by diabetic people, as well as muscle tenseness and strain.
- Spiritual and Emotional Dimensions: These dimensions of essential oils are well known and have been used by people throughout recorded history. Some essential oils are calming, others bring sharpness and clarity to thinking process and stimulate memory, still others bring a sense of contentment and well being.
Other benefits include essential oils having cleansing effect, some act as antioxidants, help in oxygen and nutrients transportation in the body etc.
- Abhishek Tiwari