The 5 Best Essential Oils For Fighting Mastitis
Mastitis is a medical term for inflammation of the breast tissue, and it can happen at any time during breastfeeding. These symptoms are usually caused by bacteria or yeast in the breast milk when there may be a problem with the milk supply in the mother or baby that has also caused an increase in breast milk production. To relieve these symptoms and avoid breast infection, you can use the following essential oils as natural remedies for mastitis. All these oils have antimicrobial properties that make them effective in treating inflammation. These oils simultaneously fight the infection without damaging the healthy tissue of your body.
You may also like:
To get relief from pain and swelling, you can use any one of these essential oils for mastitis spray with a carrier oil like olive oil or coconut oil and apply them directly to your breast with gentle massage. Some preliminary research results show that essential oils are effective in treating mastitis. Although not permanent, mastitis can cause pain, swelling, and fever that interfere with breastfeeding. With this being said, it’s important to know what essential oil is good for mastitis. Use these 5 best essential oil for mastitis relief that’ll help you feel more comfortable while taking care of your baby's health needs!
5 Best Essential Oils For Mastitis:
1. Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree oil is one of the most useful essential oils for mastitis, even though it has been associated with a potential skin irritant. Its antibacterial properties are very strong and effective in fighting any kind of microorganisms that cause mastitis.
In addition, it’s been found in some studies to be a powerful ally in treating sensitive skin conditions like dermatitis and eczema. This oil relieves pain and swelling that can happen when your body fights an infection. Apply 1-3 drops of tea tree oil on your breast with a cotton ball or massage it gently with your hands until the area is covered fully by the 3 drops you put.
2. Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme essential oil for mastitis spray is antibacterial and antifungal which makes it an effective treatment for mastitis. It can reduce the symptoms of inflammation.
Thyme Essential Oil is safe for all kinds of skin types, so you can use it safely on your skin. It’s also a powerful ally to treat digestive problems like ulcers, heartburn, bloating, nausea, and many others. Research shows that turmeric can be great in treating mastitis too!
3. Clary Sage Essential Oil
Clary Sage Essential Oil has antispasmodic properties that make it great for treating breast pain and swelling. It helps relieve the pain, increases blood circulation to the area, and strengthens the skin to prevent any further damage from inflammation.
It also decreases inflammation by inhibiting inflammatory cytokines. In addition, it’s a great agent for treating digestive problems like IBS and indigestion.
4. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender Essential Oil has strong antiseptic properties that help fight infection and reduce swelling in your breast. It calms, soothes, and relaxes all your senses when applied directly on your breast with a cotton ball or massaged gently with your hands until the area is covered fully by the 3 drops you put on the cotton ball or massage.
5. Orange Essential Oil
Orange essential oil has antibacterial, antiviral, and antispasmodic properties that help fight any kind of infection in your body. It’s also a natural antidepressant that helps reduce stress and anxiety. This oil is great for skin care treatments.
It also contains some antioxidants that help cure acne and eczema when applied to the affected area regularly. Orange Essential Oil can be especially useful after breastfeeding because it stimulates increased blood flow to your breasts to enhance breast milk production.
DIY Recipes Of Essential Oil For Mastitis Spray
- You can combine all the oils mentioned above and use it on your breast with a cotton ball or massage it gently with your hands until the area is covered fully by the 3 drops you put on the cotton ball or massage.
- Apply this mixture directly to your breast with a cotton ball before sleeping and once more after nursing, during the day. For a lovely scent, you can add 10 drops of this essential oil blend in any 5 ml of carrier oil like coconut oil, jojoba oil, or sweet almond.
- 1 drop of thyme essential oil
- 20 drops of carrier oil like sweet almond or jojoba oil
Benefits Of Using Essential Oil For Mastitis Treatment:
1) Helps Relieve Pain: The oils and other natural ingredients of these essential oils treat inflammation and even the condition of eczema.
2) Clears Sinuses: The antibacterial properties of these essential oils help in treating mastitis by killing bacteria in your body.
3) Protects Sufferers From Infection: These essential oils can help prevent infection that could happen if you have a breast infection.
4) Reduces Fever: Essential Oils have an antifungal effect that also reduces swelling, so they’re a great option to treat mastitis if you have a fever or flu symptoms.
5) Relieves Mild Pain: Essential oils are an effective aid to relieve pain in the breast and increase blood flow.
6) Increases Milk Supply: Experts claim that the increase in the release of endorphins and pain-relieving chemicals found in essential oils can increase milk production because it creates a pleasurable sensation for your breasts, so you’re more likely to produce more breast milk.
7) Prevents Infection From Recurring: Some essential oils have antibacterial properties that help fight and prevent any kind of infection caused by bacteria, fungi, viruses, and parasites.
8) Reduces Inflammation: Inflammation and infection are both associated with mastitis, so the antibacterial and antifungal properties of these essential oils can reduce inflammation and go a long way in keeping your breast beautiful, healthy, and pain-free.
9) Protects The Health Of Your Lungs: Certain essential oils have healing properties that help prevent problems such as asthma attacks, pneumonia, lung infections, eczema, and many others by reducing inflammation in the body.
10) Relieves Stress: Antidepressant effects of certain essential oils can also ease the stress caused by mastitis.
11) Helps Heal Wounds: The antiseptic properties of these essential oils treat wounds quickly to stop any infection from getting worse.
You may also like:
1. How do you use essential oils for mastitis?
Please note that essential oils are highly concentrated. Be careful when using essential oils for the first time. Most essential oil brands have specific recipes to use so follow the directions on their label.
2. Can I apply these essential oils directly to my breast with a cotton ball?
Not necessarily, because some women have even reported that it increased pain and swelling in their breasts. Please see the following recipe I’ve included in this article to make mastitis spray with less concentrated pure organic essential oil.
Leave a comment