Coconut Oil for Hair | Best regime for your Hair Health
As any beauty lover knows, coconut oil can be used for just about anything. From hydrating dry skin to removing makeup, this versatile oil has a multitude of uses. And when it comes to hair care, coconut oil is a true miracle worker. Thanks to its nourishing fatty acids and vitamin E content, coconut oil can help to hydrate and condition the hair, resulting in softer, shinier strands. It can also be used as a scalp treatment to help combat dandruff and soothe an itchy scalp. In addition, coconut oil can help to protect the hair from damage caused by heat styling and UV exposure. So whether you use it as a pre-shampoo treatment or a leave-in conditioner, there’s no doubt that coconut oil should be a staple in your hair care routine
What is Virgin coconut oil? How is it derived?
Virgin coconut oil is made from fresh coconuts belonging to the Arecaceae family of the Plantae kingdom. It is not bleached and is an unrefined oil which has high moisture content and makes for a wonderful ingredient to your hair care regime. When applied to the scalp, coconut oil can help to moisturize dry hair and skin, and it can also promote hair growth. In addition, the medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil can help to strengthen hair shafts and prevent damage.
Benefits of using Coconut oil for Hair
- Detangles hair and Eliminates Frizziness: Pure coconut oil protects hair from suffering damage, and contrary to what most people think it doesn’t cause frizz or dryness. Instead, it acts as a barrier that protects hair from physical friction, harsh chemicals, UV rays and environmental pollutants.
- Relief from Dandruff and itchy scalp: Natural Coconut oil is an excellent treatment for dandruff, dry scalp and eczema due to the fact that it boosts good bacteria while also being anti-inflammatory and moisturizing. The fatty acids in the oil act to subdue irritation and flakes caused by dry scalp. More than just a temporary fix, though, coconut oil helps regenerate your scalp microbiome to keep your hair healthy all day long.
- Repair Split ends: A great way to help prevent split ends is to rub a little bit of coconut oil into your hair - the idea being that it will heal the damage and become smoothed out by all that moisture. Coconut oil is also known to heal those broken ends of hair and prevent them from splitting in future.
- Act as Natural Moisturiser: Virgin coconut oil helps seal in moisture from deep conditioning products and prevents them from escaping the hair cuticle, resulting in smoother, less frizzy hair that is protected for future styling.
- Promotes Hair Growth: People have been using coconut oil for hair as a ritual for ages. Coconut oil is great for hair because it penetrates your hair shaft to prevent protein loss, which in turn prevents breakage and other damage. You can use this amazing oil on your scalp as well as the rest of your hair, including the ends. Coconut oil will help your follicles receive ample nourishment for healthy growth.
DIY recipes using coconut oil for Healthy Hair
Enriched with antibacterial, antifungal and antioxidant properties, coconut oil has a myriad of uses. For example, It works to moisturize dry areas, support hair growth and reduce protein loss due to coloring, bleaching or using heat tools over time. In addition to high fatty acid content, it is also rich in vitamins, which help to smoothen, nourish, and remove excess oil from your hair.
If you want to keep your hair looking its best, we recommend taking the time to pamper it with one of these hair recipes.
Recipe 1: Coconut Oil and Aloe vera gel Mask
Aloe vera gel is well-known for its ability to remove acne scars and soothe sunburn but did you know it can also be used to cure and encourage hair growth? Antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties of aloe vera gel help to relieve itching. It also contains Vitamins A and C, which aid in the removal of dandruff. It's also vital not to overlook B12, which promotes lustrous hair.
- Combine one tablespoon of Virgin coconut oil and one tablespoon of aloe vera gel in a bowl.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and knead it into your roots before moving on to the remainder of your hair.
- Allow 15 minutes for the pack to set before rinsing with lukewarm water.
Try this mask once or twice a week, and if you really want to get in there, leave it on overnight.
Recipe 2: Coconut oil and Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a popular hair wash alternative as it helps to balance your scalp’s PH while bringing dull and lifeless locks back to life with a healthy shine. ACV’s vitamins and nutrients will leave your hair looking natural and healthy without stripping the natural oils that help protect your hair.
- 2 tablespoons of 100% pure coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- Make a mixture of coconut oil and apple cider vinegar in a bowl.
- You can also add 1 tablespoon of organic raw Honey for added moisturization
- Leave for 15 to 20 minutes, rinse and continue your normal hair routine. Use this remedy once a week and get rid of those dull hairs.
Recipe 3: Coconut oil and Olive Oil hair oil
Coconut oil and Olive Oil can reinforce your scalp's softness. They both aid in providing damage repair, preventing breakage and producing healthier looking hair. The Omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants in these two oils have been proven to decrease dullness, create far fewer split ends and help strengthen all hair types.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of cold-pressed coconut oil
- Combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of cold-pressed coconut oil in a basin.
- Leave it on for 30- 45 minutes after massaging it into your strands and scalp, you can leave overnight as well.
- Rinse your hair well by applying mild shampoo and conditioner. Use once a week to get those bouncy and voluminous hairs.
Recipe 4: Coconut oil and Vitamin E
Vitamin E deeply nourishes the shaft of the hair, maintains moisture levels and fight against any free radicals that might have made their way into your strands. Virgin Coconut oil, on the other hand, helps vitamin E penetrate the hair fibres more easily and deeply than ever before.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of Virgin coconut oil and few drops of Vitamin E in a bowl.
- Apply it as a mask and wash it with lukewarm water.
- This can be applied both as a mask or to freshly washed hair after using a cleansing conditioner.
- This mixture can be used once or twice for the best results.
Virgin coconut oil for hair is beneficial for a number of reasons. Firstly, it's loaded with healthy fats which are essential to replenish dry hair. This can help keep your ends from becoming brittle and breaking off, as well as help reinforce the strength of your strands. Secondly, caring for your hair will mean you'll no longer deal with dandruff, nor will you have to worry about experiencing a dry or flaky scalp. Another excellent news is that coconut oil has also been shown to naturally condition the hair and make it shiny. Finally, some anecdotal evidence points out the fact that applying coconut oil may even make hair grow longer and healthier.
How can I apply natural coconut oil to my hair?
Coconut oil is safe for all skin types. You can apply unrefined and cold-pressed coconut oil directly to your hair and body for the best result. Just warm some pure coconut oil and give a deep massage to your hair once a week and avail yourself of its benefits.
What happens if I leave coconut oil on my scalp overnight?
If you have damaged or frizzy hair and you want to bring back the lost moisture in your hair by deep conditioning, while also providing nourishment to your scalp then applying 100% pure coconut oil can help this process. We'll clarify though that leaving the coconut oil on overnight can cause clogged pores so it's best for the application of this home remedy to last about ten minutes before going to sleep at night.
Can I use coconut oil for hair and skin?
Natural Coconut oil is rich in Lauric Acid. Lauric acid has been proven to have antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal effects. It also helps with skin problems such as eczema and alopecia. You can use the oil for beauty purposes to get glowing skin and strong hair.
Why is it recommended to use cold-pressed coconut oil for hair?
Hair is a very delicate part of the body that requires more than just care. It needs extra nourishment, and nothing in nature can beat coconut oil when it comes to this. Cold-pressed coconut oil is perfect for bringing out the lustre and shine of your hair as well as helping improve its texture without frizzing up later.
You may also like:
- Essential oils for Headache
- Essential oils for Muscle Cramps
- Essential oils to Boost Mood
- Essential oils for Nausea
- Best Essential oils for Curly Hair