Essential Oils To Ease Depression And Anxiety I Natural remedy for Depression
Depression affects the way you feel, how you think and how you act. It is a mood disorder which can cause both mental and physical symptoms. Some of the symptoms of depression include fatigue, sadness, moodiness, low self-esteem, not feeling like going out or meeting people. Essential oils have been used since ancient times for depression as part of alternative and traditional medicine.
Aromatherapy includes use of essential oils which when inhaled or absorbed through the skin may reduce depressive feelings. In this article, we're going to talk about natural essential oils that are effective for relieving stress and anxiety. Even how you can inculcate them in your life with easy DIY recipes you can perform right away and get solace in your life.
What are essential oils? How are they extracted?
Essential oils are concentrated liquids extracted from plants. They have been used for centuries to treat a variety of physical and mental ailments, such as inflammation, depression and anxiety. Pure essential oils work by interacting with some of your body's most important systems, including the nervous and immune systems. People use 100% pure essential oils to help with depression, stress and inflammation. It is important to note that the oils are not a cure for the above-mentioned conditions. Rather, they are a drug-free option used mainly as a means to alleviate symptoms and help patients better cope with the condition they suffer from. With proper and careful use, essential oils are typically safe to use.
How do essential oils work for depression?
Essential oils have been proven to elevate mood. They are effective in reducing bad thoughts and feeling. If you are wondering how essential oils work, the aroma of essential oils is carried directly to the brain which serves as emotional trigger. Organic essential oils can interact with the body by being absorbed into the bloodstream through the skin or by activating parts of the brain through inhalation. Using essential oils for depression as part of your daily routine can help minimize the severity and frequency of this problem.
Best essential oils for depression?
They are various natural essential oils that are widely used to heal depression and anxiety-related issues. According to various research, People who are using them have found a sense of peace and calmness in their life. Below are some of the most popular essential oils that are often used by people looking for a natural remedy to have a peaceful and calm life.
- Lavender Essential oil for Depression
Lavender has many medicinal uses and is frequently used in aromatherapy to help with stress, restlessness and sleep. The lavender essential oil contains many chemical components, but the most abundant are camphor, linalool and limonene. The scent of this plant has been widely popular all over the world for many centuries and is considered a symbol of love and affection for many. In addition to its beautifully sweet aroma, researchers have found that lavender essential oil may exert its calming effects by stimulating receptors in your brain that affect the parasympathetic nervous system which controls bodily processes associated with anxiety such as pulse rate, respiratory rhythm, and hypersecretion.
Try: Next time you're feeling stressed or anxious, keep some lavender oil at your fingertips.
2. Bergamot Essential oil for Depression
Bergamot essential oil is widely known for its citrus scent; it is a product of bergamot fruit rind, grown on the bergamot tree. Cosmetic products that take advantage of the scent have become more popular in recent years. Bergamot boosts antidepressant and anxiolytic properties. Chemical components found in the oil include monoterpenes, sesquiterpenes and aldehydes. The smell of bergamot can relieve emotional tension when used with aromatherapy. The presence of limonene puts this strain at risk for skin sensitization, limiting its use on exposed body areas such as the face or neck; however, the rest of the population can safely apply the extract without pressure to any area without worry about side effects.
Try: To get the most out of bergamot essential oil, blend it with a few drops of olive oil and apply it as a bedtime ritual.
3. Chamomile Essential oil for Depression
Chamomile is a great way to calm down and relax - and best of all, it naturally helps bring balance to your emotions. That's why chamomile has been included in everything from teas, to candles, to essential oils for thousands of years. It calms you down both emotionally and physically by blocking the stress hormone cortisol. Chamomile essential oil contains a type of antioxidant called apigenin which may be responsible for these positive effects. When ingested orally, further benefits include serotonergic activity, anti-inflammatory response, pain relief and antibiotic effects.
Try: Try diluting a few drops of Chamomile essential oil and water, it is an effective remedy to cure mental sickness and anxiety-related problems.
4. Ylang Ylang Essential oil for Depression
Ylang ylang essential oil has some amazing benefits which help with depression and help remove negative emotions associated with the problem. Inhaling this wonderful essential oil brings instant relief and has positive effect on your mood. It also acts as a mild, remedy for depression as it helps release negative emotions like anger, low-self esteem and even jealousy. Ylang Ylang essential oil has mild sedative effects which lowers stress responses and help you relax.
Try: To enhance confidence, mood and self love, diffuse few drops of this oil or massage it into your skin.
5. Cedarwood Essential oil for Depression
Cedarwood essential oil is a powerful tool to help you deal with depression and anxiety if these are negatively impacting your performance. The woody aroma of this essential oil helps not only improve performance but is also useful to treat a variety of symptoms associated with depression. Cedarwood has stress relieving properties which helps improve performance and promotes focus. Thus, it has been used as an anti-anxiety and anti-stress remedy for people who suffer from mild daily stress.
Try: Diffuse few drops of cedarwood essential oil for depression to leave behind word worries and transition to a peaceful, stress free after work routine.
D.I.Y Essential oil Recipe to cure depression and restlessness
When we talk about how beneficial essential oil is for curing ailments. We all see how easy and a variety of recipes are available using pure essential oils as per the preference of individuals. We are going to share some amazing and tested recipes which have helped people deal with restlessness, and anxiety but give comforting effects.
Recipe 1 Bergamot, Sandalwood, Grapeseed blend
Bergamot oil is said to assist with melancholy and grief. It's also been said to generate a sense of calm and encouragement. Bergamot essential oil pairs particularly well with Sandalwood, which is both relaxing and invigorating, and Grapeseed oil, which provides the one your brain requires for clear thinking even under duress.
- 5 drops of bergamot essential oil
- 5 drops of sandalwood essential oil.
- 1 tbsp of Grapeseed oil
- Carrier oil of your choice like Almond oil or Jojoba oil
- In your glass vial roll-on container, add five drops of each organic essential oil for mood balancing.
- Fill the balance of the container with your chosen carrier oil and apply to pulse points as needed.
- To blend the natural essential oils and carrier oil, rub them lightly between your palms.
- Whenever you need a mood lifter apply it to pulse points.
Recipe 2 Cedarwood, Orange, Ylang Ylang and Patchouli oil
This soothing blend is a calming, earthy scent that helps to induce relaxation and refocus on the important things in life. Cedarwood is relaxing and soothing, and it is also claimed to help battle negativity. Sweet orange is a highly energizing, warming, and a pleasant aroma. Ylang Ylang is well-known for reducing tension and anxiety, and its strong calming effect can also help you get a good night's sleep.
- 3 drops of Cedarwood Essential oil
- 2 drops of Orange Essential oil
- 1 drop Patchouli essential oil
- 1-2 drops Ylang Ylang essential oil
- In a container, stir all of the oils and pour them into the diffuser.
- Simply add a few drops to the water in an essential oil diffuser (I recommend starting with 4-5 drops and gradually increasing the number of drops to meet your necessities for greater consistency).
- Simply relax and feel the effect of the oil healing your mind and providing you calmness.
Recipe 3 Frankincense, Chamomile and Jasmine oil
Pure Essential oils recognised for their relaxing and soothing characteristics are included in this aromatherapy combination. The scent of jasmine is elevating and soothing to the senses, and it may be particularly therapeutic and elevating to someone who is displeased. Frankincense is balancing, relaxing, and tranquil, making it perfect for easing anxiety associated with depression. Chamomile can also aid with melancholy, sorrow, and post-traumatic chronic depression.
- 2 drops Frankincense Essential oil
- 1-2 drops Chamomile essential oil
- 3 drops Jasmine essential oil
- In a glass container, combine all of the oils. It may be used as a roll-on if you're feeling restless.
- You may put all of the oils in a diffuser with some water and have a wonderful night smelling all of the oils' sweetness.
- Simply relax and experience the oil's influence on your mind as it heals and calms you.
Things to keep in mind before using essential oils for depression and anxiety
- 100% Pure essential oils are highly concentrated liquids, which can cause allergic reactions when applied directly. Therefore, it is always recommended to use them by diluting them with other carrier oils like coconut, argan or jojoba. They work even best when diluted with water for inhalation purposes.
- Before using natural essential oil it is very vital to perform a patch test and wait for 24 hours to see if they don't react allergically.
- Pure Essentials oils are always certified by USDA. So it's important to make sure you check the certification before making the purchases.
- Essential oils are not a permanent solution to cure depression or any other mental ailments. It is just a medium for healing. Therefore, it is important to consult a doctor and take necessary precautions.
- Essential oils should never be ingested therefore, they should be avoided from the reach of children.
- It is also recommended that pregnant women should avoid using it as they are concentrated liquids and cause allergic reactions to them.
Essential oils are not a cure-all for mental health issues. They may help relieve some of your symptoms, however, they are not to be taken lightly because they have powerful properties which will interact with other medications. If you're interested in using them - it's best to speak with a medical professional who specializes in aromatherapy or the use of essential oils for depression and herbal treatments such as a herbalist.
Will essential oils help me to cure my depression and long term anxiety?
Essential oils are only the medium of healing from depression and anxiety. They help in calming the mind by there powerful properties they possess. So it's important to consult your doctor and take necessary precautions along.
What are the advantages of essential oils for individuals who are depressed?
Essential oils offer medicinal and stress-relieving qualities. In psychotherapy, plant oils can be used to help people rest and refocus. Due to their aromatherapeutic characteristics, essential oils might have mood-boosting properties depending on which ones you pick. I recommend going for Moksha’s pure essential oils to relax and calm your mind.
You may also like:
- Essential oils for Studying
- Essential oils for Rashesa
- Grounding Essential oils
- Essential oil for Hangover Recovery
- Essential oils for Concentration
- Turmeric oil for Skin Whitening